I'm a wife, a mother, a daughter, a teacher and a reader. Quite often I get asked the question, "What do you read?" So here is my answer.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thirteen Reasons Why

Asher, J. (2007). Thirteen reasons why. New York:  Penguin.

I love when my students will read on their own. I love when we can discuss books that aren't required reading. I love when they recommend books. And once in a while, I'll actually get a chance to read them.

Several students in my AP English IV class thought I should read Thirteen Reasons Why. It wasn't the first time I had heard of this book. So a student brought her copy for me to borrow. I sat down after school the other day, avoiding some grading, and began the book. I read the first 50 pages and was floored. I couldn't put it down. I read the entire book in one evening. Hats not something I do very often, but it can happen.

Thirteen Reasons Why is so different from anything I usually read. The book has two narrators: one is a teenage boy named Clay who seems to be a pretty good kid all around; the other is a girl named Hannah who speaks from cassette tapes that she has made just before committing suicide. While I liked the character of Clay, Hannah had such a powerful voice.

The cassette tapes are created for 13 people (hence the title) who have a connection with Hannah's suicide. Each character must listen to the tapes and pass them on to the next person. The connection between Clay and Hannah is different from the other characters, so his section in the tapes seems odd, but it is so striking to read the rest of the book. Especially since one recipient is a teacher.

I would have like to have seen more of Clay after he finishes the tapes and how the other listeners reacted. However, this is not a book that needs a sequel, like so many YA books have turned into recently.

I like the direction Thirteen Reasons takes on suicide. None of the characters glorify it. Even Hannah seems to know it is wrong. The books opens the eyes of the audience to warning signs in individuals and how society perceives those who are struggling. It has definitely made me think about my own students differently.

So thanks to my students for suggesting such a quick but powerful book.

Related Readings:
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Imitate the Tiger

No comments:

Post a Comment