I'm a wife, a mother, a daughter, a teacher and a reader. Quite often I get asked the question, "What do you read?" So here is my answer.

Monday, July 8, 2013

The Outcast

Petersheim, J. (2013). The Outcast. Carol Stream, Illinois: Tyndale House Publishers. 

I have the pleasure of personally knowing the author of the debut novel The Outcast. I had many, many classes with Jolina Petersheim, before she married and become a published author. Once upon a time I was an editor of my college newspaper and Jolina was a writer. Now, I'm not sure how I feel about editing such a talented writer's work.

All joking aside, The Outcast is a wonderful first novel for Jolina. It is subtitled "A modern reselling of The Scarlet Letter."  Yet, while Jolina's novel has a basis and allusions to the American classic, The Outcast stands on its own without the endorsement. 

The Outcast is set in Tennessee among a Mennonite community with the protagonist and co-narrator, Rachel. Like Hester Prynne, Rachel has committed a sin and has a young child to show for it. Rachel refuses to name the father, but the reader easily infers who shared in Rachel's sin. I truly cared for more characters than just Rachel. There's Rachel's twin sister, Leah, who loves her sister despite Rachel's betrayal.  There's Ida Mae, the spunky woman who takes Rachel and her son, Eli, into her home.  And there's Judah, Rachel's childhood friend who is more than meets the eye. 

Jolina uses the voice of Amos, The father or Judah and Tobias (Leah's husband) to tell the story from an outside point-of-view. I love the switch in narrators. The audience is able to see other events in the plot without being told from Rachel's point-of-view. Most of the book is written in present tense. I simply enjoy when an author makes this decision. The present tense creates a tone of suspense like nothing else. It is a subtle, but very effective, stylistic choice. 

Jolina hails from the Mennonite and Amish community herself. And while she does not practice the lifestyle, she still has strong ties to the interesting way of life. I now look at the Plain life with a new understanding. I definitely sense Jolina's own voice through her protagonist, strong-willed, loyal, and passionate. But Leah has many of Jolina's qualities as well, determination, strength, and love. 

The Outcast is a great summer read for women of all ages. I would have no reservations about my pre-teen daughter (who does not exist) reading this novel. Yet, I also see this as a novel that my grandmother would enjoy. The Outcast appeals to such a wide audience. And is an easy read for those of us who lead busy and hectic lives. 

I am so proud of my dear friend Jolina for following and succeeding in her dreams. I can't wait to read her next work, The Midwife, due next summer. 

2 comments:

  1. I HAVE to get this!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for doing this, Heather! It means a great deal to me. I will always cherish our newspaper days! Xo jo

    ReplyDelete