I'm a wife, a mother, a daughter, a teacher and a reader. Quite often I get asked the question, "What do you read?" So here is my answer.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Llama Llama Red Pajama

Dewdney, A. (2005). Llama Llama red pajama. New York:  Viking.

Lately I have seen Llama Llama everywhere!  So I had to see what the appeal is.  I'm still guessing at what attracts to young children to Dewdney's tales of Llama Llama.  Brody loves the picture book though.

The plot is simple.  Little Llama is going to bed and suddenly is terrified of being alone in the dark without his mother.  In the end, Llama's mother explains to him that even when she is not in the room, she will always be near to him.  It's a heartwarming bedtime story.




Dewdney's rhythm and rhyme scheme make the book very easy to read.  The rhythm, with aid from rhyme and alliteration, is quick and steady.  Dewdney choses words that really convey the mood, like "weeping" and "wailing" to describe Llama while yelling for him Llama mama.

The artwork in the book is also provide by Dewdney.  It is colorful and simple.  I love Llama's big eyes when he believes his mama may be gone.  One wordless page expresses the franticness of Mama Llama when she hears her son screaming for her.

Overall, Llama Llama is a sweet bedtime story.  Some nights Brody hands me the book two or three times to read.  I'm not sure if he enjoys the pace of the rhythm or if he identifies with sleeping in his own room.

No comments:

Post a Comment